4/28/2009

BLT Smashed Potatoes


I will say right now that this is the best potato recipe you'll ever taste. BLT Smashed Potatoes are easy and super delicious. After you whip this together a few times, you won't even need to consult the directions. In my book, that is a perfect recipe!

I even found a way to serve this to my vegetarian friends (alterations below). Potatoes are a great side dish for many meats and burgers. Since I don't care whether or not I have substantial protein at each meal, I'm happy to enjoy this dish as my meal.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound bacon
1 bunch fresh leeks, washed and diced
1 fresh tomato, diced (alternatively, one 9 oz. jar dried tomatoes, chopped)
1 T. butter
1-2 pounds red potatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Wash leeks well, separating stalks to make sure to get all grainy sand rinsed out. Dice leeks, then saute over medium heat in butter.

Meanwhile, wash and chop the red potatoes. Steam in a colander, covered, over medium-high heat, for 5-8 minutes, until tender.

While potatoes are steaming, cook bacon. I prefer to line a baking sheet with foil and and then cook at 400 degrees in the oven. You can also fry in a large saucepan over high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Crumble when finished.

After the potatoes are cooked, drain and put into a serving bowl. Add sauteed leeks, chopped tomato and crumbled bacon.

When I made this for a vegetarian couple, I substituted bacon with dried tomatoes. You get just as much flavor, with lower fat and calories.

This recipe is an easy, family favorite. Try it a few times and before long, it will be a staple dish in your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment