3/31/2009

Lulu's Homemade Guacamole

Did someone say Cinco de Mayo? Ole! Mexican food is a favorite standby in our home. If I had to pick one type food to eat for the rest of my life – hands down I’d pick Mexican. Since it can be less than gentle on the waistline (and the wallet if you eat out), I’m always looking for ways to bring a little south of the border flare into my homemade cooking, where I can control the ingredients and cost.

After watching in horror as a Washington D.C. restaurant charged over $12.00 for guacamole last spring, I decided to create my own recipe. I’m not sayin’…I’m just saying that it’s darn good!

My 9 month old chows it down and prefers it to regular baby food. Before you protest that avocados are “too fatty” – rest assured that they are the “good fat” you want to eat (good for hair, nails, skin, and helps lower bad cholesterol). But before you start consuming Lulu's Homemade Guacamole every day and then blame me for unexplained weight gain, I insert the caveat that, as with everything, eat in this guacamole in moderation. It may be hard, but feel free to treat yourself to the good fat when you feel the need to shake your maracas.

My best tip is to use fresh/ripe ingredients. Farmer’s markets are wonderful, and home-grown ingredients are even better!


While on vacation in Palm Springs, I found a woman collecting lemons from her lemon tree. Since her condo was on my running route, I made a point to “borrow” a few lemons every day. Using lemon juice in your guacamole not only brings out the flavors, but it prevents your guacamole from turning brown too quickly (same tip works on apples).

Ingredients:

1. two ripe avocados (tip – do not put avocados in the fridge. It slows the ripening process and makes them inedible). Leave on a sunny window sill for a day or two and they will be perfect!
2. 2-4 ripe tomatoes – depending on variety and size.
3. ½ Large red onion or 1 small red onion
4. 1 ripe lemon
5. Generous amounts of salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Cut avocado in ½. Remove pit. With a knife, cut avocado into pieces while still in the skin. Scoop pieces out with a fork.
2. Chop red onion up into small, but rough chops
3. Chop tomatoes into small pieces (I drain the seeds and the liquid from my tomatoes so as not to water down the guacamole).
4. Roll lemon (if very hard, microwave for 30 seconds). I usually pull out my lemon and place it in the sun for a bit of time before using. This allows the juices to run freely. Squeeze over the bowl with avocados, onion and tomatoes. Cup your hand under lemon when squeezing to avoid the seeds from getting into the mixture.
5. Salt and Pepper to taste.



You can refrigerate leftovers. It may look “brown” the next day, but give it a quick stir and you’ll find green just under the surface. Perfectly fine to eat – but I would eat within 2 days.

I love to use this with chips, on my burgers, on top of chicken, and on my enchiladas, quesadillas or what have you.

It is a condiment, so experiment with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment