1/20/2009

Brussels Sprout with Bacon

Since you are reading this post, you must be brave. Really. I mean who would really want to make Brussels sprout on purpose?

Still, I PROMISE you that you and your family will like this recipe. I can say that because I am one of the pickiest food eaters on the face of the earth. This is not an exaggeration. I used to have to sit at the table and "finish" my meal while my sisters got to watch the Muppet Show. I use "finish" in quotations, because I had help from my dog, Chewy.

So...when I say you will like this recipe for Brussels Sprout with Bacon, you can be assured I've tried it and like it! Just like Mikey (Life cereal commercial for those of you over 30). If you need a reason other than taste to try this recipe, consider that Brussels sprout are chalk full of vitamins and calcium. It is one of the best foods for a woman to eat. So if you're worried about your calcium intake or lactose intolerant - try the sprouts! You'll love it.

Did you know that Brussels sprout are the vegetable of the year? Its true!



My Aunt Suzie made this Williams-Sonoma knock-off recipe for Christmas in 2007. Like always, I've played with my food and tweaked it a bit to make it my own. Here's my revised recipe for Brussels sprout with bacon.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts

  • 6 oz- 1b. bacon

  • 3 T olive oil (or bacon fat - you choose).

  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 T garlic chopped

  • 1 1/2 T marjoram

  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (plus more if needed).
Directions:

First, cut or pull off any dry or discolored leaves from the Brussels sprout. Slice off the dry end and quarter (or use a food processor and shred the sprouts). Set aside.

On the stove top, heat a roasting pan or large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon. Pour out all but about 3 T fat (or drain off all fat and replace with 3 T olive oil). Saute onions and then add in garlic and Brussels sprout and toss until coated. Add in marjoram and salt for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup broth. Continue cooking, adding more broth as needed until the sprouts are soft -- about 5 -10 minute

Once done, crumble bacon (or pancetta) on top and stir to incorporate. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.

Makes 6-8 servings.
Bacon not your thing? Omit the bacon, reduce the chicken broth and add in 1/4 cup of soy sauce. This is a great stir fry Asian-fusion-type side dish with the soy sauce.

***Kid Trick/Picky Eater*** My son always asks "what is this?" We don't say brussels sprout in case someone has told him they are disgusting, gross or good for you. Instead, we tell him they are little heads of lettuce. Since there is bacon on it -- that's all he needs to know. When I take this dish to a party, I say that the shredded sprouts are cabbage. People will eat and love it before they know they are having something healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment